Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|8.8 –ANDES COMMUNITY DAY FESTIVITIES|
|7.2-9.3 EVERY THURSDAY-TRIVIA NITE AT THE ANDES HOTEL, 7pm|
|CANS & CLAMS FRIDAYS AT THE ANDES HOTEL|
|Tomorrow at the Andes Hotel Michael Suchorsky & David Rissenberg with Night Sky|
|Job posting: Principal Administrative Associate|
|Job Posting: Stationary Engineer (Electric)|
|Job Posting: Mechanical Engineering Intern|
|Happy National Mead Day!|
|Celebrate National Mead Day with an in-store tasting featuring Royal Meadery!|
|Celebrate Mead Day at Roxbury Wines & Spirits!|
|Summer Serenade at the Denver-Vega Old School Baptist Church|
|For Arts' Sake at RAG July 18th|
|Summer at Tay Tea is Simply Delicious!|
|Are You A Wild Woman?|
|A Night of Mountain Music with Two Dark Birds & Scott Hill|
|Emerson Car Show this Weekend!|
|Bird Feeders - Free Craft Workshop for Kids|
|Pendants - Free Craft Workshop for Kids|
|Stories from the Field|
|Registration Forms Available at MHF Offices|
|MHF Golf Tournament August 6th Registration Form|
|Let us play matchmaker, for Golfing that is!|
|Foundation 5th Annual Donor and Sponsor Appreciation Event|
|Image of the day|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Cooperstown|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Delhi|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Woodstock Farm Festival|
|Mid-century mod Catskills home on 11+ acres w/pond, privacy, solar panels|
|(8/6, 8/13, 8/20, 8/27) East Meets West: Theater Workshop with Lanny Harrison|
|7/31 & 8/1: 28th Annual Shakespeare in the Valley at the West Kortright Centre|
|7/17-8/22 Paintings by Bette Alexander at the West Kortright Centre|
|Rails to the Catskills and Catskill Mountain House Documentaries on PBS affiliate WMHT-TV|
|Heirloom Daylilies and Fancy Ones Too!|
|A Geranium is not always a Geranium! Catskills Garden Geraniums|
|Enchanted Evening at the Gideon Frisbee House - July 25 - 6pm.|
|Civil War Reenactment - July 18 and 19|
|Old Fashioned Photography at DCHA, Saturday, July 11 – 1pm.|
|Music! Cake! Fun!|
|Put on your dancing shoes, and bring the kids!|
|A movie and a square dance|
|Margaretville Store Closing Sale!|
|Catskill Recreation Center Hiring Business Manager, Lifeguards|
|NEW LISTINGS! Fabulous vacation rentals with lake or pool in scenic spots with great décor|