Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|New Arrival at the Blue Barn|
|From the Blue Barn "Looking At You"|
|Two early American pieces at the Blue Barn|
|From the Blue Barn Collection|
|Two New Arrivals at the Blue Barn|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Barryville|
|Farmer's Market of the Week: Deposit|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Rock Hill|
|Product Protection Plans are now available at The Catalog Outlet!|
|New Reclining Living Room Collection Sale Priced, Only While Supplies Last!|
|Only 3 More Weekends: Judith Lamb, new works, Gorgeous!|
|Chace-Randall Gallery, Subscriber for 4 yrs/2 days Salutes The Watershed Post|
|Judith Lamb Continues to Awe Viewers at Chace-Randall Gallery|
|Great Western Catskills: Good Eats and Upcoming Events|
|LABOR DAY WEEKEND TASTING EVENT!|
|Brotherhood Wines from NYS now available!|
|Great pictures of RWS from Catskill Images. Thanks Jill!|
|Doc's Draft Peach Hard Apple Cider|
|Re-priced: Highly Motivated seller offering this desirable Roxbury Run Townhouse|
|We’re CELEBRATING our ANNIVERSARY SALE!! Aug. 15-17|
|When It's All About The Food|
|Sideways Tour! A Romp through the Wines of Sideways|
|Golf Classic Raises Over $53,000 for HealthAlliance Hospitals|
|LOTS TO DO FOR KIDS AND ADULTS ALIKE AT ANDES COMMUNITY DAY THIS WEEKEND!|
|RAILS TO THE CATSKILLS: THREE AUGUST SHOWINGS - KINGSTON, CATSKILL AND SAUGERTIES|
|Betty Brook Bounty|
|Recliners: Your Style Your Color|
|New items arriving daily.|
|The Festival has begun!|
|Solange Merdinian and the dancers and musicians of Flamenco Y Sol|
|Argentinian vernacular Mass by Ariel Ramirez, Misa Criolla|
|Rossini's Barber of Seville - Saturday, August 2|
|Hanford Mills Museum offers themed tours|
|Cats Guild presents the Main View Gallery & Studio of Oneonta|
|Personalized Plaquettes for Every Occasion!|
|Ready To Pipe Marmalade-In-A-Bag|
|DCHA Offers Adirondack Trip|
|O&W Presentation in Delhi|
|Susan's Pleasant Pheasant Farm Kayak Races|
|The 2014 First Annual Not Your Average Croquet Tournament|
|The Many Hats of a Catskill Transplant by Rebecca of Traveler's Tea|
|NEW: Big Sky Pond, 5 BR cedar shingled home with swimming pond, tennis court on 60+ acres. Available for vacation renting.|