Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|Associate Lab Microbiologist - NYC Department of Environmental Protection|
|HealthAlliance Foundation’s Vampire Ball a ‘Treat’ for local hospital|
|HealthAlliance CEO to address healthcare changes - Oct. 15|
|Tonight’s Show: Forest Talk with Mike Porter|
|Wednesday Night’s Show: Catskill Trees with Gary Mead – Red Oak|
|Wednesday Night's Show: American Mountain Guide - Jed Porter|
|Limited Time Specials on Power Furniture!|
|Product Protection Plans are now available at The Catalog Outlet!|
|From the Blue Barn Chair Collection|
|Tables at the Blue Barn|
|Mirror Beer Signs at the Blue Barn|
|Complimentary Event at Lyon Mountain Blue Barn Antiques|
|From the Blue Barn RARE Collection|
|JUST REDUCED North Harpersfield Home|
|Stream side on Elm Street in Delhi|
|Contemporary Catskill Mountain Retreat|
|Adorable 2-Bedroom Andes Cottage|
|Andes Stream Side Farmhouse|
|The Parsonage in New Kingston|
|Delaware County Historical Association to Present Awards of Merit Presentation to Focus on County in World War II|
|Oneonta has so much to offer!|
|Get Away Or Better Yet STAY...in Stamford!|
|Good Things Come in Smaller Packages! Cottage in Andes|
|Large, 11-14 bedroom lakefront vacation rental, perfect for multi-family holiday gatherings|
|Works Flying the Coop!!!|
|Halloween Fun For Everyone at the Andes Hotel - Harvest Moon and Zombie Farm|
|Chippendale's Come To The Catskills|
|Mediterranean Nite Belly Dancing Stylings of B3 and Great Specials!|
|Jill Carey Michaels Live - Andes Hotel|
|Kirkside is hiring!|
|Holiday Hoopla at Community Living Skills- Walton, NY|
|Complimentary ABSINTHE tasting, Sunday, Oct 12|
|Columbus Day Weekend at the Emerson|
|Columbus Day Weekend at Tay Home!|
|FALL SALE – MENDOTA GAS FIREPLACES AND FIRE PLACE INSERTS|
|Battlefield Band - Sunday, Nov. 2|
|Tea time at Roxbury General, Sunday, October 12, 2—4 pm|
|Now at Roxbury General: American-Made Jeans and Throws|
|Resources for Hunters in Delaware County|