Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|Jay Gould: Robber baron or financial genius?|
|Can you hear me now?|
|Headwaters History Days 2016 - June 3-5|
|Final Kingston and Phoenicia trains this weekend|
|Tay Tea Celebrates Memorial Day Weekend in Delhi!|
|Celebrate Mother's Day at the new Tay Tea in Delhi!|
|Native Americans Talk, May 28|
|Food Workshop, May 14, 2016 ~ Revolutionary-War Era|
|Second Anniversary Wine Tasting!|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Woodstock Farm Festival|
|Your Hero’s Journey® Redux: A Mythological Toolbox® PlayShop 2016 July 10-15|
|Butterfly Foe – Garlic Cress!|
|Garden Friends! Tachinids (Not all flies are bloodsuckers)!|
|Garden Friend: The Bumble Bee!|
|Mints of the Mountains! 3 Easy Ground Covers for Catskills Gardens!|
|Deer Hill Farm - Country Estate w/ Private Swimming Lake in Damascus, PA|
|The Homestead: Sprawling 14 bedroom lakefront home, great for reunions/retreats, in Kauneonga Lake|
|Registration Opened for 4th Annual Golf Tournament|
|Margaretville Health Foundation and Peekamoose Partner for Celebrity Waiter Event|
|Catskill Mountain Family Lodge|
|A Living Heritage|
|Exceptional Catskills estate w/6BR lodge, guest house, tennis, ponds, paddocks and barns|
|Meet Joe Hewitt today!|
|Joe, John and Mountain Culture|
|All about porcupines this Saturday!|
|O'Neill's Shire Pub- Bartender Needed|
|O'Neill's Shire Pub Events|
|Book Discussion, Q&A and Signing with Eliot Cowan|
|The Workings of Honey Bee Hives Bee-Ginners Seminar|
|Walk Among the Weeds with Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower|
|Vendors Wanted for Great Catskill Mountain BBQ Fest - August 27|
|Become a Volunteer Firetower Observer!|
|Andes Hotel Mother's Day Brunch|