Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|Charity Auction, Rhythm & Brews and Brewery FUN this Labor Day Weekend!|
|(9/6) Silent Auction & Rummage Sale at the West Kortright Fair|
|(9/6) Jay Ungar & Molly Mason, Blues Maneuver, and Horseshoe Lounge Playboys live at the West Kortright Fair 2015!|
|(9/4) Gallery Opening: Group Show Fundraiser|
|Plant Markers - Free Kid Crafts at the Round Barn|
|Butterfly Crafts for Kids at the Round Barn|
|Origami - Free Craft Workshop for Kids|
|Going Ninja on Japanese Beetles|
|Lover's Tea - The Last Cool Drink of Summer!|
|BLTs at Last! Whole Lamb Orders, and Farm Tour Sunday|
|Fresh Beef and Merguez (Lamb Sausage)|
|Woodshed Prophets Perform at Roxbury Revelry - September 6!|
|Roxbury Revelry in Kirkside Park this Labor Day Weekend!|
|Mountain Bike Appreciation Weekend at Plattekill Aug 15-16|
|The Power of Partnership: Our Network Working For Patients|
|Antique Engine Jamboree & Powerfest at Hanford Mills Museum|
|CATSKILLS CITIZENS STUNNED: WIOX UNEXPECTEDLY HITS 5 YEAR MARK!|
|Taco Tuesdays at the Andes Hotel and O'Neills Shire Pub|
|Widespread telcom outage in Central New York|
|Now Hiring: Dental Hygienist (Margaretville, NY)|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Sidney|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Oneonta|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Saugerties|
|Job Posting: Watershed Maintainer in Kingston|
|Job Posting: Watershed Maintainers in Shokan|
|Job Posting: Watershed Maintainers in Margaretville|
|FREE French Wine Tasting!|
|ANNIVERSARY SALE EXTENDED thru Saturday, August 22nd!|
|Trip to Fort William Henry and Lake George Cruise|
|World War II-Era Food Workshop, August 15|
|Beautiful in Bovina|
|Enchanting Catskill Mountain Retreat|
|Catskill Mountain Hide-A-Way|
|Golf and Camaraderie. No Losers!|
|Foundation Thanks Golfers, Sponsors and Supporters at Golf Tournament|
|Sunny Day Predicted...Join us this Thursday|
|Country chic Catskill Farms farmhouse for sale in Eldred|
|Margaretville Store Closing Sale!|
|OPEN HOUSE SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH FROM 11AM TO 2 PM|
|Steam in the Catskills|
|Catskill Recreation Center Is Hiring: Full-Time Aquatics Director|
|Catskill Recreation Center is Hiring: Full-Time Business Manager|
|Clematis in the Catskills region|
|Fried? Need to get away somewhere gorgeous and peaceful? Little House is the perfect country cabin escape.|