Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|Ready To Pipe Marmalade-In-A-Bag|
|New Mini-Hors d’Oeuvres & Dessert Molds for All Your Summer Parties!|
|Customer Appreciation Sale!|
|Product Protection Plans are now available at The Catalog Outlet!|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Rock Hill|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Walton Farmers' Market|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Sidney Farmers' Market|
|Two New Arrivals at the Blue Barn|
|From the Blue Barn Baby collection|
|Lyon Mountain Blue Barn loves Old and Original Signs|
|Happy 4th of July|
|Enjoy the 4th of July Weekend|
|Rossini's Barber of Seville - Saturday, August 2|
|SEVEN FAVORITE MALADIES OF LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN|
|August 2, 2014: Workshop of Clarimonde|
|NEW: Big Sky Pond, 5 BR cedar shingled home with swimming pond, tennis court on 60+ acres. Available for vacation renting.|
|O&W Presentation in Delhi|
|Civil War Reenactment at the Delaware County Historical Association|
|Margaretville Health Foundation 2014 Golf Tournament...August 24th|
|2nd Annual Golf Tournament to Benefit Margaretville Hospital and Mountainside Residential Care Center|
|Safe and Happy Holiday|
|August at the Emerson|
|Celebrate at the Emerson this Weekend!|
|ZONDER KENNEDY AT CANS & CLAMS TOMORROW!|
|TRIVIA NITE EVERY THURSDAY AT THE ANDES HOTEL|
|We're hiring! Looking for a kitchen manager with enthusiasm and experience.|
|Thunder in the Valley Inter Tribal Pow-wow|
|Newer price: Highly Motivated seller offering this desirable Roxbury Run Townhouse|
|Style....The music of your home.|
|A Safe and Happy July 4th|
|Southside Johnny Show Proceeds to Boost Local Ambulance Services|
|Complimentary Tasting at Roxbury Wine and Spirits hosted by Kymar Farm Distillery!|
|Tucked Away On A Very Quiet, Small & Well Maintained Country Road Sits...|
|Just One Look...|
|Fairs & Festivals of the Great Western Catskills!|
|Rural Genius Talk at Hanford Mills Museum|
|Independence Day Celebration at Hanford Mills Museum|