Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|Join Us for a Free & Informative Seminar|
|Senior-ize or Sell - Informative Seminar|
|Product Protection Plans are now available at The Catalog Outlet!|
|New Reclining Living Room Collection Sale Priced, Only While Supplies Last!|
|Sonoma's Valley of The Moon|
|Come join our largest street fair of the season on Saturday May 24th|
|Paleo-Indians on the East Branch|
|Looking for a gathering place?|
|Soup stylin' with the Fleischmanns!|
|Sweet Getaway…PRICED TO SELL…Ready to Move In|
|Andes..."Land in the Sky"|
|Erik and Fernando find their Dream Home!|
|Eight Track Shindig for Film Festival|
|Used kayak sale is still on this weekend|
|Used kayak sale this weekend|
|SPRING IS ARRIVING AT THE BLUE BARN|
|Lyon Mountain Blue Barn Antiques & Collectibles Highest Quality -- Best Prices|
|Lyon Mountain Blue Barn Antiques and Collectibles Highest Quality - Best Prices|
|COMMERCIAL PROPERTY FOR SALE OR RENT|
|Wednesday Night’s Show: Catskills Trees with Gary Mead – Eastern Hemlock|
|Wednesday Night’s Show: Hoppy Quick – Catskill Mountain Woodsman|
|Wednesday Night’s Show: Golden Eagle Project|
|Easter Made-Easy with Cheesequick!|
|RELAY FOR LIFE BINGO NIGHT AT THE ANDES HOTEL APRIL 19th|
|One of the Nation’s First “Autism-Friendly” Emergency Departments Provides Customized, Compassionate Care|
|HealthAlliance Takes Strides to Engage the Community|
|Don't Stress The Commute...|
|Turn Key Commercial Building|
|The Fish are Biting in the Great Western Catskills|
|Win $10,000 Cash at the Delaware County Chamber’s 15th Annual Golf Tournament|
|Cabins with Quarter-Mile of Esopus Frontage!|
|Employment and Transition Specialist|
|Human Services Team Leader/Supervisor Position - Arkville|
|SUBSTITUTE SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER|
|ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF RESIDENTIAL SERVICES POSITION|