Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|(7/3) Alt-country Gala Dance Under the Stars with Girls Guns & Glory and The Hop City Hellcats|
|(6/25) Karrin Allyson Trio (Grammy-nominated jazz)|
|The Workings of Honey Bee Hives with Will "The Bee Man"|
|Walk Among the Weeds with Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower|
|Voices of Wisdom|
|The Workings of Honey Bee Hives|
|Civil War Reenactment, June 25 & 26|
|History of the Delaware & Northern Railroad Saturday, June 11th - 2pm|
|Native Americans Talk, May 28|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Rosendale|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Rock Hill|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Delhi|
|Champion Campions of the Catskills! Pretty in Pinks Part II!|
|Pretty in Pinks! Catskills Dianthus!|
|Bugs Inside Bugs – Andes Roundtable Talk!|
|Mustards of the Mountains!|
|Golf Tournament...an Annual Margaretville Health Foundation Event|
|Just in Time for Father's Day. . . Introducing Man Tea!|
|Tay Tea's Iced Elixirs now at Blue Bee Cafe|
|Summer on Ice - A Special Offer from Tay Tea!|
|Tay Tea Celebrates Memorial Day Weekend in Delhi!|
|Father's Day Brunch at The Old SchoolHouse Inn & Restaurant|
|Job Posting: Staff Analyst|
|Barbecue Your Breakfast! Five Reasons to Start Your Day Cooking in Your Backyard|
|CATSKILL MOUNTAIN HOUSE documentary screens at D&H Canal Museum Friday June 10|
|Final Kingston and Phoenicia trains this weekend|
|Today is the day!! Here are the events!|
|Burroughs and train travel subject of June 4 program|
|Stories from West Shokan|
|Concerts open and close History Days|
|Jay Gould: Robber baron or financial genius?|
|Zeke Lost Dog in Andes NY Please Keep An Eye Out|
|Lovingly Restored Greek Revival|
|LOCATION, VIEWS, COMFORT|
|SAVE THE DATE! AMERICAN CRAFT BEER FESTIVAL JUNE 18th AT THE ANDES HOTEL|
|6.5-ANDES CYCLE THE SKY BIKE RIDE-SUNDAY-SPONSORED BY DELAWARE OPERATIONS.|
|Second Anniversary Wine Tasting!|