Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|Spring Slinking in Slowly|
|It's not just about the veggies|
|High Tunnel Magic|
|I Love My Park Day at Roxbury's Kirkside Park|
|Oneonta Remodeling Sale Going On At All Catalog Outlet Locations!|
|Tax Freedom Sale Flyer Ends This Sunday, April 12th, 2015!|
|The Catalog Outlet's We Pay The Tax Website Sale End This Sunday, April 12th, 2015!|
|DAFFODIL VS NARCISSUS|
|SEASON OF THE WILLOW|
|HOW LATE ARE WE, REALLY? and an overview of Crocus, as well.|
|New York-New Jersey Trail Conference Is Hiring: Program Coordinator (Catskill)|
|We Are Pure Catskills: Majestic Farm|
|We Are Pure Catskills: Greenane Farms|
|Mother's Day Brunch Buffet at the Catamount Restaurant|
|MTC Cable welcomes Watch TV Everywhere|
|Spring Open House|
|Think green...the green fairways of Golf|
|The Gift That Keeps On Giving|
|DCHA Offering Trip to Seward House and Skaneateles Lake Cruise|
|Dawn Robyn from Rosemary Farm on Myth America April 14|
|Peter Shickele at Spillian! April 26|
|Follow Tay's Nini O. to Africa!|
|PRIMO “TAX DAY” GRILL SALES EVENT – Happening Now!|
|SPRING CLEARANCE – Stoves, Fireplaces, Inserts, BBQs & Smokers|
|Spring Preview Rates|
|ASHOKAN WATERSHED FISHING DOCUMENTARY BEGINS PRODUCTION|
|The bikes are back in town! Local outfitter Storehouse is bringing bike rentals back to Phoenicia|
|Bountiful Easter Brunch Buffet in Grahamsville|
|Beautiful, Colonial Revival Puts You in the Heart of the Western Catskills|
|Klock Kingston, HealthAlliance Foundations Purchase New Chairs for Dialysis Center|