Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|Margaretville Store Closing Sale!|
|4th of July Weekend at Tay Tea|
|Save $2 on Tay Tea's Most Popular Iced Tea!|
|Tea & Chat with Author Jeanette Bronée at Tay Tea|
|Tonight's Show: Wild Foraging with Marguerite|
|Tonight’s Show: Birch Syrup with Mike Porter|
|Wednesday Night’s Show: Catskill Trees with Gary Mead – Norway & Red Spruce|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Rock Hill|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Pakatakan Market|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Lexington|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Barryville|
|Catskill Mountain Hide-A-Way|
|Retreat At Jones Lake - Own a 10 Acre Lake!|
|Cabin Hill Farmhouse|
|Ashokan water delivered to NY City - One Hundred Years ago|
|The most famous woman you've never heard of|
|Win this painting!|
|The New Kingston hub|
|Reserve a Cemetery Tour spot today!|
|TMTP Returns to the Roxbury Arts Group!|
|Free Tastings at Roxbury Wines & Spirits this July 4th Weekend!|
|GRBA Announces June 30 Mixer!|
|Contemporary Dance Come to Roxbury This Weekend|
|Brittany Elliott to Perform at Foundation Event on July 11th|
|3rd Annual Golf Tournament - Don't forget to Register|
|Delhi Garden Tour this weekend!|
|Foxgloves Gone Wild – a favorite Catskills flower!|
|Catskills Peonies – The Ultimate Heirloom Flower|
|FARM OF DISTINCTION! NESTLED IN THE WESTERN EDGE OF THE CATSKILLS|
|Country Living with Mountain Views Just Outside Historic Village of Franklin|
|VILLAGE GEM on WIDE HISTORIC TREE LINED STREET|
|Independence Day Celebration at Hanford Mills Museum|
|July Fourth weekend tasting events!|
|A Beautiful House and a Big Pond|
|PRICE REDUCED: Country Getaway, Just Two Hours from Tappan Zee!|
|Pizza Garden at the Round Barn Farmers Market|
|7 tips for healthy tomatoes|
|Job Posting: Watershed Maintainer|
|Your Hero’s Journey® Redux: A Mythological Toolbox PlayShop 2015 July 12-17|
|Myth America, Tuesdays at 9 AM on WIOX Radio|
|Primo Father's Day Sale|
|Country Living in Otego|
|Country Home With Pond on 5+ Acres in Guilford|
|WSKG announces NPR one: Hand-picked stories, on your schedule|
|Celebrating 'All Things Local' this week with Dwight Grimm / June 16th at 6pm on WIOX|
|Power outage disrupts MTC service|
|Good for what ails you, and to keep you from ailing: Salves, tinctures, balms, ointments, and oils|