Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|Spillian Sundays: Voices from the Catskills | Elly Wininger, October 5|
|Trail U: FREE Intro to Map & Compass Navigation, Sunday, Sept. 14|
|Radical Gratitude: A Workshop On Unexpected Gifts Sat. October 4|
|9.20-BREWED IN AMERICA OKTOBERFEST-2pm to 6pm-ANDES HOTEL|
|A little is a LOT! 5.16 acres of seclusion|
|25th Anniversary Flyer!|
|Product Protection Plans are now available at The Catalog Outlet!|
|Tonight’s Show: Catskill Trees with Gary Mead – bitternut hickory (Carya cordiformis)|
|Tonight’s Show: Fleischmanns Woody Biomass Project with Todd Pascarella|
|Wild Food Foraging - Sunday, Oct. 5|
|Las Cafeteras - Saturday, Oct. 4|
|Chiara String Quartet - Saturday, Sept. 28|
|Suzy Bogguss at the West Kortright Centre - Sunday, Sept. 14|
|FALL SALE – MENDOTA GAS FIREPLACES AND FIRE PLACE INSERTS|
|September ENVIRO Sale|
|End of Season SALE on FORNETTO Wood Fired Oven/Smoker|
|Meatloaf w/ Honey Glazed Carrots, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, & Gravy; Cod Filet Almandine; Local Arugula w/Caramelized Apples|
|The Foliage Seeker's Cycling Getaway|
|The Perfect Pair: Food & Fun in the Great Western Catskills|
|Eats & Entertainment in the Great Western Catskills|
|Enchanting cottage vacation rental w/hot tub in farm country, 15 mins to trendy Hudson|
|Terrific Labor Day rentals still available in Catskills and Hudson Valley, including romantic cottage and luxe house w/hot tub|
|BBQ Lunch honoring Shandaken's Parks & Playgrounds|
|2nd Annual Golf Tournament to benefit Margaretville Hospital and Mountainside Residential Care Center|
|Early Morning Line up of Carts for Margaretville Health Foundation Golf Tournament|
|Two Businesses for the Price of One|
|Farmer's Market of the Week: Stamford Pop-Up Market|