Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|FREE WINE TASTING!|
|Enchanted Evening ~ July 30. 6 - 9pm.|
|Author Reading/Book Signing ~ August 6|
|DCHA Hosts Book Launch, July 29|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Morris|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Hobart|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Cooperstown|
|And the winners are....|
|Blue Skies and Warm Breezy Weather for Foundation Golf Tournament|
|Optional Skins Game at Golf Tournament|
|Golf Tournament Team Spots Still Available|
|Safe and Happy July 4th Holiday|
|Hanah Mountain Resort Is Hiring|
|Help Wanted: Front Desk|
|BEES, HONEY & YOU returns by popular request - Saturday, August 27th!|
|EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Development Director|
|A Walk Among the Weeds with Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower|
|Bees, Honey & You - A glimpse inside the recent workshop...|
|Get SpillianFest Advance Tix Online and Save!|
|SpillianFest 2016! July 23. Blues. The Bayou. The Birth of a Live Album.|
|Your Hero’s Journey® Redux: A Mythological Toolbox® PlayShop 2016 July 10-15|
|(8/12) Hot Club of Cowtown|
|(8/11) East Meets West Theater Workshop with Lanny Harrison|
|(7/29 &30) Shakespeare in the Valley 2016 Picnic & Performance|
|Gallery Exhibit: Paintings by Lisa Jacobson (thru 8/27)|
|MTC Is Hiring: Job Fair 7/19 and 7/21|
|Crazy Daisies of the Catskills!|
|Catskills Clovers! Legumes of the Catskills II|
|Colorful, Cosmic Kaleidoscope Celebration at the Emerson! Come One! Come All!|
|Let's Celebrate Summer!|