- Outdoor Guide
- Sponsored Content
Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
By Lissa Harris
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|Every Day Rarities from our ﬁve Show-rooms|
|More "one of a kind" samples from our our 5 show-rooms|
|Huge Inventory of ﬁne European and early American Antiques|
|Catskills CRAFT Season Kick-Off with EcoPracticum May 30|
|Water & Land: May 2013 IPM Workshop|
|Catskills Farmlink: Why Farm the Catskills?|
|Farm Tour: May 17|
|This Thursday, the Pop-Up Farmers' Market is on, rain or shine!|
|A new face at the Pop-Up Market|
|Beeswax + catnip for all at the Pop-Up market|
|Handmade candles and soaps at the Pop-Up Market|
|For rent: High traffic commercial space near Phoenicia|
|Seeking Grant Writer / Manager|
|WCCRC Invites MBE / WBE Businesses To Be On Approved Contractor List|
|Get Grilling and Countdown to Memorial Day Weekend!|
|Open Saurday, May 11, Lunch starting at noon|
|Andes Hotel Announcing Andes BBQ Company|
|LIFETIME workmanship warranty on all new roofs!|
|Vinyl siding and roof, Colchester, NY|
|Nominate your house for a free roof by Sunday|
|Tay Home's first event of the season !|
|MOTHER'S DAY EVENT @ TAY HOME!|
|Fleischmanns' largest street fair of the season comes on Saturday, May 25|
|Re-open Friday with new yummy menu.|
|Artists from the Juilliard School to perform at the Cyr Center|
|Tamarack log style bedroom set|
|New youth bedroom set, now in stock!|
|New upholstery collection now in stock!|
|Check out our new logo and facebook page NOW! Thanks....|
|Gardenfest2013! And So We Danced...|
|Gardenfest2013! May 11th 10am-3pm|
|Edelweiss exclusive @$519,000|
|Catskill Honeymoon Cottage, exclusive @$149,000|
|How Primroses avoid incest!!!|
|Spring! OPEN! Spring! We've missed You!|
|Picturing America: Free Workshops Continue on National & Local History|