Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 8:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|Final Weekend: Chace-Randall Gallery Closes after 10 Seasons|
|Only 15 more Days Brick and Mortar/Keeping hours Chace-Randall Gallery|
|30 Days Only...|
|Native American Heritage month|
|Your Donations at Work!|
|'The Dress Up Your Home For The Holidays' sale has started!|
|Product Protection Plans are now available at The Catalog Outlet!|
|Limited Time Specials on Power Furniture!|
|A Very Happy Thanksgiving to all our Friends and Neighbors|
|Rock Pond: 3 cottages on 72 pastoral acres with swimming pond for sale|
|Two cute new cabin listings for under $180k|
|Free tasting, TOMORROW, Saturday, Nov 22, 2-4pm|
|Free wine and spirits tasting!|
|Happy HalloWINE from Roxbury Wine and Spirits!|
|Shop Local Savings on November 29|
|Home Grown Custom Meats - Custom Meat Cutting and Smoking in Delhi, NY|
|JUST REDUCED North Harpersfield Home|
|From the Blue Barn "Art Collection"|
|Mid Century at the Blue Barn|
|Armoires at the Blue Barn|
|From the Blue Barn Chair Collection|
|Holiday Shopping Guide for the Great Western Catskills|
|Treetops: A modernist vacation rental retreat on the banks of the Delaware River|
|Red Cottage is hiring a customer service/salesperson!|
|Toys for the Children Drive at the Emerson Resort & Spa|
|Stream Side Treadwell Ranch|
|An American Classic / Farmhouse / Barn/ 208 acres|
|Home On The Range / Bordering Protected Land|
|Stream side on Elm Street in Delhi|
|Delaware County Historical Association Sponsors Reading & Book Signing|
|RUPCO Opens Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program Waiting List for Enrollment November 17 through December 12|
|SAVE up to $615 on REGENCY and HAMPTON thru November 24th|
|Marketing & Public Relations position is open at The West Kortright Centre|
|RAILS TO THE CATSKILLS AND CATSKILL MOUNTAIN HOUSE DOCUMENTARIES SET FOR NOVEMBER SHOWINGS|
|Associate Lab Microbiologist - NYC Department of Environmental Protection|
|Breathtaking Mountain Views…LOVELY Log Cabin Living!|
|Historic 1864 Farmhouse - Quiet Road!|
|Country Living, Village Proximity!|
|Priced to Sell, Two Businesses for the Price of One|