Local cyclists give bikes to kids who lost their wheels to Irene
4/26/12 - 9:23 am
Local blogger and bike advocate Mike Wentland can't fix all the damage wreaked by Irene's floods last year. But what he can do, he's doing: Giving new bikes to kids who lost theirs in the floods.
For months, Wentland and the Catskill Mountain Velo Club, a new cycling group Wentland helped found, have been fundraising, holding charity rides, and soliciting help from local businesses to fund a giveaway for children's bikes. Overlook Mountain Bikes chipped in with a steep discount, and another bike group, Fats in the Cats, donated bikes to the effort.
To get a bike through the program, children applied through local school districts. Wentland posted some of their stories on his Catskills Cycling blog in January:
- "It (bicycle) was taken by the river next to my house since my home is in a flooding area. If I get a bike, I can go bike riding with my friends during the summer."
- "Her bike was completely washed away. She could use a new one because she doesn't have one now and she loves to ride her bike."
- "during the flood of Hurricane Irene, our attempts to save them (bikes) was lost when the water current swept them down stream. We never found even a piece of them again."
- "Our old address was -------------- Fleischmanns and after the flood we had to move due to extensive damage to our place. Everything outside was completely washed away, so it couldn't even be recovered including her first bike without training wheels. She could use a new bike because that is something we haven't been able to replace yet."
- "The bikes went through the flood in the apartment we were living in. The apartment was not livable after the flood so we moved the salvageable stuff to the upstairs apartment."
This weekend, their work will pay off, in the form of that certain satisfaction one only gets from giving a kid a bicycle and watching what happens to that kid's face. On Saturday, April 28, the cyclists are gathering at Big Indian Park in Shandaken to give new bikes to the children who applied for the program. The event starts at 10am.
|Free anniversary tastings starting Friday, May 22 at 5pm!|
|Memorial Day and One Year Anniversary Tasting Events!|
|Log Home at Silver Lake|
|A Living Heritage|
|See the Tinderbox's Grills In Action - Memorial Day Weekend|
|Lightweight, Portable Stoves for Campers and Backpackers|
|Memorial Day Weekend - Celebrate Ten Years of Tay Tea!|
|It's Time for Cold-Brew Iced Tea!|
|Celebrate Mother’s Day with Tay Tea!|
|Save the Dates! Tay Tea Spring Events|
|Fiber Arts Weekend at Heather Ridge Farm|
|Sunday May 24 BBQ, Fresh Chicken, New Summer Hours|
|Supper Club this Saturday, May 16|
|Spring Redecorating in the Henhouse|
|Spring Slinking in Slowly|
|Art in the Catskills This Memorial Day Weekend|
|Orquesta SCC Kicks of Summer Season at the Roxbury Arts Group|
|Roxbury Welcomes You This Memorial Day Weekend|
|I Love My Park Day at Roxbury's Kirkside Park|
|Dicentra part II (Two Catskills wildflowers)|
|Dicentra Part I (Bleeding Hearts, or why do plant names change?)|
|A TASTE OF ANEMONE|
|DAFFODIL VS NARCISSUS|
|Swap Your Seeds!|
|How Do You Celebrate Spring?|
|Dreamy new landmark townhouse vacation rental in happening Hudson|
|Celebrating 'All Things Local' this week with Nicole Day Gray / All Things Hive321 with Theresa Spinelli|
|Celebrating 'All Things Local' this week with Nicole Day Gray / All Things Catskills Grit with Michael Wentland|
|Myth America, Tuesdays at 9 AM on WIOX Radio|
|Thanks to NYNJTC and Upstate Adventure Guides for a Great Year of Trail U at Spillian!|
|Keeping Life Simple - Beautiful Bovina Farmhouse, 2 Ponds & 16+/- acres.|
|Rondout Creek Lodge: Sunny, streamfront home with great room and 2 fireplaces on 53 acres near waterfalls and Blue Hole|
|Spa Treatments for a Cause at the Emerson Resort & Spa|
|Last Minute Savings at the Emerson Spa|
|JOHN VANDERLYN IN VIRGINIA AND WASHINGTON, D.C.|
|Take Mom to the Andes Hotel on Sunday!|
|Oneonta Remodeling Sale Going On At All Catalog Outlet Locations!|
|GCSWCD EDUCATION AND OUTREACH COORDINATOR|
|Raffle for Roxbury Volunteer Fire Department|
|Andes Central School Spring Picture Day|
|New York-New Jersey Trail Conference Is Hiring: Program Coordinator (Catskill)|
|We Are Pure Catskills: Majestic Farm|