Above: The view from the fire tower at Overlook Mountain on Memorial Day, looking north. Photo by Andrea Girolamo, who was not exactly comfortable at that elevation.
It seems like these posts always start with an observation about the weather -- personally, if the weather starts to become less newsworthy, that would be fine. The strong storms and the hottest of temperatures are behind us and everything's coming up roses. Here's what else was blooming around the blogshed this week.
- RUPCO has plans to bring artist lofts to Kingston.
- Town Tinker Tube Rental (high five for alliteration!) gets some love from Upstater this week.
- Snack 'n learn about the new Andes Rail Trail at the old train depot tomorrow (which is also National Trails Day)!
- Fun postcard blog focuses on former Borscht Belt sweetheart Hotel Zeiger in Fallsburg.
- Cat'n Around Catskill gets some worldwide exposure via Catsparella's "Around the World in 80 Cats" feature. (Don't worry -- no cat insides were harmed in the making of this pun)
- MORE WEATHER, PLEASE: Our cross-river compatriot Sam Pratt provides a visual for the crazy weather we had on Wednesday complete with possible funnel cloud over Greene County.
- Local pet-friendly sights seen through the lens of a pup named Witty, including Hotel Mountain Brook, Indian Head Mountain and Kaaterskill Falls.
- Venus makes its final transit across the sun this century on Tuesday -- its second in the last few years but, for just about all of us, it's likely the last time we'll see such a thing occur in our lifetimes. The Denning Denizen suggests making an awesome pinhole projector like in elementary school to view Venus' celestial encore.
Looking ahead, we've got a busy weekend coming up; check out the calendar for what's coming up!