As if we hadn't had enough mysterious propane leaks around here lately: In the wee hours of Saturday, in the middle of a sold-out Labor Day weekend at Mohonk Mountain House, the hotel's gatehouse blew up. It's a miracle nobody was hurt, the Freeman reports:
“Fortunately, no one was injured in the incident,” said Jackie Appeldorn, general manager, on Sunday evening. “The staff has just been great. And, the woman who was on duty last night reported for work today.“
Appeldorn said it’s been determined that a gas leak from a propane tank led to the explosion shortly after midnight on Saturday. “We’re just not sure what ignited it,” she said.
The Poughkeepsie Journal says hiking on the grounds is suspended until sometime in the middle of the week.
And now, for something completely different: