Woodmen's Show at Hanford Mills Museum
Hanford Mills Museum will bring 200 years of logging, sawing and woodworking history to life at the Woodsmen’s Show on Saturday, May 5, from 10 am – 5 pm.
The SUNY Cobleskill Woodsmen’s Team will put on lumberjack shows at 12:30 and 2:00 pm, featuring cross-cut sawing, overhand and underhand chop, and more.
“It’s a dynamic show of speed, strength, teamwork, and skill,” says Liz Callahan, the Museum’s Executive Director.
Come watch the sawdust fly as logs are sawn on the Museum’s historic water-powered 1926 “Mighty Fitz” circular sawmill and on a modern, gasoline-powered portable sawmill. At the box shop, Mill workers will use the vintage woodworking machines to turn Mill-sawn lumber into useful wood products, like boxes, crates and tub covers. Mill tours offered all day.
The event also features:
- Hand hewing, timber frame building, and woodworking
- Kids' activities, lead by the Oneonta World of Learning, including tree-themed storytelling, block building, and decorating paper grocery bags in honor of Earth Day
- Book sale by Hobart Book Village
- Woodworker Bernd Krause demonstrating his handmade replica of a 17th century spring pole treadle lathe
- Cooper Barry Keegan making barrels, using pre-industrial methods.
- Woodlot Management and Tree Identification Walks led by the Catskill Forest Association at 11:30 am and 2:30 pm
- Woodstove cooking in the John Hanford Farmhouse
- Food by Eagle Ridge BBQ
- Local maple products by Mill Hollow Farm
Children 12 and under admitted free. Adults and teens (13-64), $8.50; and Senior Citizens, $6.50. Museum members admitted free. AAA and Military discounts available. For more information, visit www.hanfordmills.org or call 607/278-5744.
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Lexington Farmers' Market|
|Fabulous Phlox of the Catskills!|
|Black-Eyed Susans Gone Wild (In Catskills Gardens)!|
|Mints of the Mountains II – Monarda (aka Beebalm)|
|Yarrow – Catskills Wildflower or Garden Flower?|
|Daylily vs. Lily Redux|
|FREE WINE TASTING! AUG 27|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Saugerties|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Pakatakan Market|
|ANDES HOTEL CANS & CLAMS FRIDAYS -HUMMEL'S MUG & ESQUELA AUG 26th & SEPT 2ND|
|O'Neill's Shire Pub- Server & Bartender Needed|
|Foundation Donor Sponsor Event|
|First Presbyterian Church of Delhi Seeks Organist|
|“THE FIRST ARTIST IN AMERICA” JOHN VANDERLYN - MONUMENTS AND MEMORIALS|
|23Arts Summer Music & Jazz Festival world premieres FICTIONS: Borges in Tango|
|Ragtime, Joplin, the Birth of Jazz and Sounds of Brazil at 23Arts Summer Music & Jazz Festival|
|Central Catskills Abstract Co. Is Hiring -- Part-Time Office Assistant|
|MTC Is Hiring -- Accounting Assistant|
|CAR SHOW at the EMERSON! VROOM! VROOM!|
|BEES, HONEY & YOU returns by popular request - Saturday, August 27th!|
|The Catskill Recreation Center is Hiring: Morning Lifeguards|
|Callahan Catskill Real Estate's New Listing in Stamford NY by Joanne Callahan|