Woodmen's Show at Hanford Mills Museum
Hanford Mills Museum will bring 200 years of logging, sawing and woodworking history to life at the Woodsmen’s Show on Saturday, May 5, from 10 am – 5 pm.
The SUNY Cobleskill Woodsmen’s Team will put on lumberjack shows at 12:30 and 2:00 pm, featuring cross-cut sawing, overhand and underhand chop, and more.
“It’s a dynamic show of speed, strength, teamwork, and skill,” says Liz Callahan, the Museum’s Executive Director.
Come watch the sawdust fly as logs are sawn on the Museum’s historic water-powered 1926 “Mighty Fitz” circular sawmill and on a modern, gasoline-powered portable sawmill. At the box shop, Mill workers will use the vintage woodworking machines to turn Mill-sawn lumber into useful wood products, like boxes, crates and tub covers. Mill tours offered all day.
The event also features:
- Hand hewing, timber frame building, and woodworking
- Kids' activities, lead by the Oneonta World of Learning, including tree-themed storytelling, block building, and decorating paper grocery bags in honor of Earth Day
- Book sale by Hobart Book Village
- Woodworker Bernd Krause demonstrating his handmade replica of a 17th century spring pole treadle lathe
- Cooper Barry Keegan making barrels, using pre-industrial methods.
- Woodlot Management and Tree Identification Walks led by the Catskill Forest Association at 11:30 am and 2:30 pm
- Woodstove cooking in the John Hanford Farmhouse
- Food by Eagle Ridge BBQ
- Local maple products by Mill Hollow Farm
Children 12 and under admitted free. Adults and teens (13-64), $8.50; and Senior Citizens, $6.50. Museum members admitted free. AAA and Military discounts available. For more information, visit www.hanfordmills.org or call 607/278-5744.
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Callicoon|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Oneonta|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Liberty|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Tannersville|
|Darling cottage with fireplace, fenced garden, screened porch (Livingston Manor, NY)|
|Elegant stone house w/pool, fenced garden, chef's kitchen & 28 acres (Livingston Manor, NY)|
|Now Streaming on YouTube|
|Country estate with private art collection and sweeping vistas on 37 acres for vacation rental|
|Phantom of the Opera! Silent film, live music!|
|EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Development Director|
|Phantom of the Opera, Sunday, October 30|
|Plattepalooza - Family Fall Festival at Plattekill Mountain|
|Fall For Chai|
|Just Listed by Joanne Callahan/ Callahan Catskill Real Estate in Dynamic Delhi NY!|