Woodmen's Show at Hanford Mills Museum
Hanford Mills Museum will bring 200 years of logging, sawing and woodworking history to life at the Woodsmen’s Show on Saturday, May 5, from 10 am – 5 pm.
The SUNY Cobleskill Woodsmen’s Team will put on lumberjack shows at 12:30 and 2:00 pm, featuring cross-cut sawing, overhand and underhand chop, and more.
“It’s a dynamic show of speed, strength, teamwork, and skill,” says Liz Callahan, the Museum’s Executive Director.
Come watch the sawdust fly as logs are sawn on the Museum’s historic water-powered 1926 “Mighty Fitz” circular sawmill and on a modern, gasoline-powered portable sawmill. At the box shop, Mill workers will use the vintage woodworking machines to turn Mill-sawn lumber into useful wood products, like boxes, crates and tub covers. Mill tours offered all day.
The event also features:
- Hand hewing, timber frame building, and woodworking
- Kids' activities, lead by the Oneonta World of Learning, including tree-themed storytelling, block building, and decorating paper grocery bags in honor of Earth Day
- Book sale by Hobart Book Village
- Woodworker Bernd Krause demonstrating his handmade replica of a 17th century spring pole treadle lathe
- Cooper Barry Keegan making barrels, using pre-industrial methods.
- Woodlot Management and Tree Identification Walks led by the Catskill Forest Association at 11:30 am and 2:30 pm
- Woodstove cooking in the John Hanford Farmhouse
- Food by Eagle Ridge BBQ
- Local maple products by Mill Hollow Farm
Children 12 and under admitted free. Adults and teens (13-64), $8.50; and Senior Citizens, $6.50. Museum members admitted free. AAA and Military discounts available. For more information, visit www.hanfordmills.org or call 607/278-5744.
|Andes..."Land in the Sky" -- Sneak preview|
|The Catalog Outlet's Big Furniture & Mattress Savings Event!|
|New Reclining Living Room Collection Sale Priced, Only While Supplies Last!|
|Product Protection Plans are now available at The Catalog Outlet!|
|HSM readies 2014 season|
|12 Days left to submit your film to the CMFF|
|Bill Pullman Named Honorary Chair - Catskill Mountains Film Festival - May 2nd, 3rd, 4th.|
|Maple Fest: Celebrating the Wonderful World of Maple Syrup|
|Sweet corn production|
|Apple Tree Pruning workshop|
|Calling all fly fishers! New Beaverkill Valley rental|
|Human Services Team Leader/Supervisor Position - Arkville|
|SUBSTITUTE SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER|
|HALF-TIME R.N. POSITIONS|
|ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF RESIDENTIAL SERVICES POSITION|
|Storewide Clearance Sale! Up to 50% Off!|
|Tea Tasting & Sale Saturday, February 15th Noon - 4PM!|
|It's time to prune your apple trees|
|Catskill Apple Tree Care: “Making your trees more fruitful, one cut at a time”|
|FREE TASTINGS of CATSKILL CANDY @ CATSKILL MOUNTAIN ARTISANS GUILD|