Woodmen's Show at Hanford Mills Museum
Hanford Mills Museum will bring 200 years of logging, sawing and woodworking history to life at the Woodsmen’s Show on Saturday, May 5, from 10 am – 5 pm.
The SUNY Cobleskill Woodsmen’s Team will put on lumberjack shows at 12:30 and 2:00 pm, featuring cross-cut sawing, overhand and underhand chop, and more.
“It’s a dynamic show of speed, strength, teamwork, and skill,” says Liz Callahan, the Museum’s Executive Director.
Come watch the sawdust fly as logs are sawn on the Museum’s historic water-powered 1926 “Mighty Fitz” circular sawmill and on a modern, gasoline-powered portable sawmill. At the box shop, Mill workers will use the vintage woodworking machines to turn Mill-sawn lumber into useful wood products, like boxes, crates and tub covers. Mill tours offered all day.
The event also features:
- Hand hewing, timber frame building, and woodworking
- Kids' activities, lead by the Oneonta World of Learning, including tree-themed storytelling, block building, and decorating paper grocery bags in honor of Earth Day
- Book sale by Hobart Book Village
- Woodworker Bernd Krause demonstrating his handmade replica of a 17th century spring pole treadle lathe
- Cooper Barry Keegan making barrels, using pre-industrial methods.
- Woodlot Management and Tree Identification Walks led by the Catskill Forest Association at 11:30 am and 2:30 pm
- Woodstove cooking in the John Hanford Farmhouse
- Food by Eagle Ridge BBQ
- Local maple products by Mill Hollow Farm
Children 12 and under admitted free. Adults and teens (13-64), $8.50; and Senior Citizens, $6.50. Museum members admitted free. AAA and Military discounts available. For more information, visit www.hanfordmills.org or call 607/278-5744.
|Looking for a Fabulous Valentine's Gift?|
|Hot Tea Season + Moving Sale at Tay Tea|
|Valentine's Weekend Wine and Whiskey Tasting!|
|Chair Caning Workshop @ DCHA|
|Desserts and Diaries at DCHA|
|LIVE MUSIC @ THE SHIRE PUB|
|Job Title: Sous Chef|
|Job Position: Front Desk|
|Hanah Mountain Resort Now Hiring Qualified Experienced Waitstaff|
|Find the Essence: An Amazing Whole-Systems Planning Workshop Feb 19-21|
|Winter Adventure Escape! This Weekend!|
|Delaware County Electric Cooperative (DCEC) Announces Membership Information Meeting for Proposed Rate Revisions|
|Wednesday Night’s Show (January 20th): Running a Catskills Sawmill with Gary Mead|
|Wednesday Night’s Show: Fire History with Author & Professor – Dr. Stephen Pyne|
|Stanley's House to screen in NYC January 31st|
|Greater Roxbury Business Association's Monthly Business Mixer - January 26 at 5:30 PM|
|Play to Win....For Love of Body and Health|