Woodmen's Show at Hanford Mills Museum
Hanford Mills Museum will bring 200 years of logging, sawing and woodworking history to life at the Woodsmen’s Show on Saturday, May 5, from 10 am – 5 pm.
The SUNY Cobleskill Woodsmen’s Team will put on lumberjack shows at 12:30 and 2:00 pm, featuring cross-cut sawing, overhand and underhand chop, and more.
“It’s a dynamic show of speed, strength, teamwork, and skill,” says Liz Callahan, the Museum’s Executive Director.
Come watch the sawdust fly as logs are sawn on the Museum’s historic water-powered 1926 “Mighty Fitz” circular sawmill and on a modern, gasoline-powered portable sawmill. At the box shop, Mill workers will use the vintage woodworking machines to turn Mill-sawn lumber into useful wood products, like boxes, crates and tub covers. Mill tours offered all day.
The event also features:
- Hand hewing, timber frame building, and woodworking
- Kids' activities, lead by the Oneonta World of Learning, including tree-themed storytelling, block building, and decorating paper grocery bags in honor of Earth Day
- Book sale by Hobart Book Village
- Woodworker Bernd Krause demonstrating his handmade replica of a 17th century spring pole treadle lathe
- Cooper Barry Keegan making barrels, using pre-industrial methods.
- Woodlot Management and Tree Identification Walks led by the Catskill Forest Association at 11:30 am and 2:30 pm
- Woodstove cooking in the John Hanford Farmhouse
- Food by Eagle Ridge BBQ
- Local maple products by Mill Hollow Farm
Children 12 and under admitted free. Adults and teens (13-64), $8.50; and Senior Citizens, $6.50. Museum members admitted free. AAA and Military discounts available. For more information, visit www.hanfordmills.org or call 607/278-5744.
|Andes Hotel Mother's Day Brunch|
|Celebrity Waiter Event at Peekamoose June 4th|
|Fun, Fast and Furious Celebrity Waiter Event. Join us June 4th at Peekamoose|
|Golf Season is Almost Upon Us...Come Out and Play|
|Woodfield - 1880s charm with glass, light, 2 fireplaces, pond and 8+ acres in Woodbourne, NY|
|Delightful renovated Dutch Colonial farmhouse in Jeffersonville, NY|
|Be Part of History in the Catskills: Help Build a New Trail|
|Did you know woodchucks can climb trees?|
|Anglers -- The Catskills are calling|
|Were you there?|
|Volunteer Workday ~ Saturday, April 30, 10am - 3pm|
|Quilt Workshop - April 23 - 10am-4pm|
|Author Presentation: "A Taste of Upstate NY," April 9|
|Exhibit Opening, April 8 - George Ballantine|
|New from Tay Tea -- Matcha Green Tea!|
|Spring Detox with Tay Tea|
|FREE TASTING! SUNDAY, APRIL 24, NOON-6PM|
|JOHN VANDERLYN: KINGSTON NATIVE – RENOWNED NEOCLASSICAL ARTIST|
|CLEANING SERVICES WANTED FOR 2 OFFICES|
|A Home With A View|
|FARM OF DISTINCTION!|
|CATSKILL MOUNTAIN VIEWS IN ALL DIRECTIONS!|
|Interested in Learning how to build a new Lean-to?|
|Help Build the New Trail at the Catskill Interpretive Center|
|Volunteer with CRISP!|
|Beaverkill Trout is on the menu, and in the market to take home this weekend|
|Vendors Wanted for Great Catskill Mountain BBQ Fest - August 27|