Clean Water Act Turns 40
3/20/12 - 3:54 pm
According to the EPA website, the Federal Water Pollution Control Act of 1948 was the first major U.S. law to address water pollution. Growing public awareness and concern for controlling water pollution led to sweeping amendments in 1972. As amended in 1977, the law became commonly known as the Clean Water Act (CWA). You can listen in to a free webinar tomorrow, The History and Evolution of the Clean Water Act. The 1977 amendments:
- Established the basic structure for regulating pollutants discharges into the waters of the United States.
- Gave EPA the authority to implement pollution control programs such as setting wastewater standards for industry.
- Maintained existing requirements to set water quality standards for all contaminants in surface waters.
- Made it unlawful for any person to discharge any pollutant from a point source into navigable waters, unless a permit was obtained under its provisions.
- Recognized the need for planning to address the critical problems posed by nonpoint source pollution.
The Watershed Post's News from Local Businesses column carries news from local businesses in our directory. Visit this business's page:
|Earth's Minerals - Bath Salts AND Gems. Come see and smell what's new!|
|EXHIBITING A RICH COLLECTION OF CONTEMPORARY FINE ART|
|Gotsch Tree Farm Open This Weekend: Blue and White Spruce Christmas Trees for Sale Starting at $20|
|Blue and White Spruce Christmas Trees for Sale|
|Winter Design - 10% Off from December 1st 2013 Through March 1st 2014|
|Ski Season Has Started Cozy Cabins Available!|
|Join us Saturday, December 7th for a Holiday Celebration|
|Shop Small Business Saturday, November 30th|
|Be Inspired. Browse our home and gift collections.|
|AVOID BLACK FRIDAY RUSH, VISIT PINE HILL BOOKS FOR HIGH VALUE INEXPENSIVE HOLIDAY GIFTS|
|GIVE THE GIFT OF CATSKILL MOUNTAINS AND HUDSON VALLEY HISTORY ON DVD|
|Attention Hunters!...And Outdoor Enthusiasts of Every Kind|
|Job opening: Installer / Service Technician – Margaretville Telephone Company (MTC)|
|Black Friday Weekend Savings at the Emerson Country Stores!|
|A Thanksgiving Dinner at the Catamount Restaurant|
|HealthAlliance of the Hudson Valley® Receives NYS Department of Health Support for Enhanced Regional Planning Approach|
|Eureka Market's mouth-watering catering menu now available online. Pies, turkey and all the fixin's, and much more|
|Thanksgiving @ The Andes Hotel|
|11.23-MEDITERRANEAN NITE WITH BELLY DANCING STYLINGS OF B3 BELLYDANCE, SHOW STARTS @ 7:30pm, NO COVER AT THE ANDES HOTEL|
|Watershed Agricultural Council - 20th Anniversary - PUBLIC AWARENESS VIDEO|
|Outpatient Clinical Social Worker|