Clean Water Act Turns 40
3/20/12 - 4:54 pm
According to the EPA website, the Federal Water Pollution Control Act of 1948 was the first major U.S. law to address water pollution. Growing public awareness and concern for controlling water pollution led to sweeping amendments in 1972. As amended in 1977, the law became commonly known as the Clean Water Act (CWA). You can listen in to a free webinar tomorrow, The History and Evolution of the Clean Water Act. The 1977 amendments:
- Established the basic structure for regulating pollutants discharges into the waters of the United States.
- Gave EPA the authority to implement pollution control programs such as setting wastewater standards for industry.
- Maintained existing requirements to set water quality standards for all contaminants in surface waters.
- Made it unlawful for any person to discharge any pollutant from a point source into navigable waters, unless a permit was obtained under its provisions.
- Recognized the need for planning to address the critical problems posed by nonpoint source pollution.
This Sponsored Story is paid advertising. To see more information about the business, click the link below:
|Large, 11-14 bedroom lakefront vacation rental, perfect for multi-family holiday gatherings|
|Product Protection Plans are now available at The Catalog Outlet!|
|Works Flying the Coop!!!|
|We Have Color Inside/Out...Come Peep!|
|Mirror Beer Signs at the Blue Barn|
|Complimentary Event at Lyon Mountain Blue Barn Antiques|
|From the Blue Barn RARE Collection|
|New Arrival at the Blue Barn|
|Halloween Fun For Everyone at the Andes Hotel - Harvest Moon and Zombie Farm|
|Chippendale's Come To The Catskills|
|Mediterranean Nite Belly Dancing Stylings of B3 and Great Specials!|
|Jill Carey Michaels Live - Andes Hotel|
|Kirkside is hiring!|
|Holiday Hoopla at Community Living Skills- Walton, NY|
|Spillian Sundays: Voices from the Catskills | David Gonzalez | October 19|
|Spillian Sundays: Voices From the Catskills Fall Season|
|Spillian Sundays: Trail U FREE Trail Layout & Design Class…then join us for Soup! October 12|
|Complimentary ABSINTHE tasting, Sunday, Oct 12|
|Columbus Day Weekend at the Emerson|
|Flavors of Fall|
|Columbus Day Weekend at Tay Home!|
|Art Opening 9/27 at Tay Home's Art Barn -- Steve Burnett|
|FALL SALE – MENDOTA GAS FIREPLACES AND FIRE PLACE INSERTS|
|HealthAlliance CEO to address healthcare changes - Oct. 15|
|Community Needs Assessment Survey Available to Hudson Valley Residents|
|Battlefield Band - Sunday, Nov. 2|
|Tea time at Roxbury General, Sunday, October 12, 2—4 pm|
|Now at Roxbury General: American-Made Jeans and Throws|
|Resources for Hunters in Delaware County|
|Specials for w/e 9/26: Chili Cheddar Burger w/Spicy Cheese Fries; Pasta Alfredo; Spinach Salad w/Carrot, Appl & Shallot Medley|
|Woodsmen's Festival at Hanford Mills Museum Oct. 4|
|SALE:Catskill Mountain Artisans Guild|