Clean Water Act Turns 40
3/20/12 - 4:54 pm
According to the EPA website, the Federal Water Pollution Control Act of 1948 was the first major U.S. law to address water pollution. Growing public awareness and concern for controlling water pollution led to sweeping amendments in 1972. As amended in 1977, the law became commonly known as the Clean Water Act (CWA). You can listen in to a free webinar tomorrow, The History and Evolution of the Clean Water Act. The 1977 amendments:
- Established the basic structure for regulating pollutants discharges into the waters of the United States.
- Gave EPA the authority to implement pollution control programs such as setting wastewater standards for industry.
- Maintained existing requirements to set water quality standards for all contaminants in surface waters.
- Made it unlawful for any person to discharge any pollutant from a point source into navigable waters, unless a permit was obtained under its provisions.
- Recognized the need for planning to address the critical problems posed by nonpoint source pollution.
This Sponsored Story is paid advertising. To see more information about the business, click the link below:
|Andes Hotel Mother's Day Brunch|
|Mints of the Mountains! 3 Easy Ground Covers for Catskills Gardens!|
|All The Hyacinths Of The Catskills!|
|Mighty Mites of the Catskills and Other Little Critters! (What’s alive in the forest floor?)|
|Celebrity Waiter Event at Peekamoose June 4th|
|Fun, Fast and Furious Celebrity Waiter Event. Join us June 4th at Peekamoose|
|Golf Season is Almost Upon Us...Come Out and Play|
|Woodfield - 1880s charm with glass, light, 2 fireplaces, pond and 8+ acres in Woodbourne, NY|
|Delightful renovated Dutch Colonial farmhouse in Jeffersonville, NY|
|Be Part of History in the Catskills: Help Build a New Trail|
|Did you know woodchucks can climb trees?|
|Anglers -- The Catskills are calling|
|Were you there?|
|Volunteer Workday ~ Saturday, April 30, 10am - 3pm|
|Quilt Workshop - April 23 - 10am-4pm|
|Author Presentation: "A Taste of Upstate NY," April 9|
|Exhibit Opening, April 8 - George Ballantine|
|New from Tay Tea -- Matcha Green Tea!|
|FREE TASTING! SUNDAY, APRIL 24, NOON-6PM|
|JOHN VANDERLYN: KINGSTON NATIVE – RENOWNED NEOCLASSICAL ARTIST|
|CLEANING SERVICES WANTED FOR 2 OFFICES|
|A Home With A View|
|FARM OF DISTINCTION!|
|CATSKILL MOUNTAIN VIEWS IN ALL DIRECTIONS!|
|Interested in Learning how to build a new Lean-to?|
|Help Build the New Trail at the Catskill Interpretive Center|
|Volunteer with CRISP!|
|Beaverkill Trout is on the menu, and in the market to take home this weekend|
|Vendors Wanted for Great Catskill Mountain BBQ Fest - August 27|