Clean Water Act Turns 40
3/20/12 - 4:54 pm
According to the EPA website, the Federal Water Pollution Control Act of 1948 was the first major U.S. law to address water pollution. Growing public awareness and concern for controlling water pollution led to sweeping amendments in 1972. As amended in 1977, the law became commonly known as the Clean Water Act (CWA). You can listen in to a free webinar tomorrow, The History and Evolution of the Clean Water Act. The 1977 amendments:
- Established the basic structure for regulating pollutants discharges into the waters of the United States.
- Gave EPA the authority to implement pollution control programs such as setting wastewater standards for industry.
- Maintained existing requirements to set water quality standards for all contaminants in surface waters.
- Made it unlawful for any person to discharge any pollutant from a point source into navigable waters, unless a permit was obtained under its provisions.
- Recognized the need for planning to address the critical problems posed by nonpoint source pollution.
This Sponsored Story is paid advertising. To see more information about the business, click the link below:
|Enchanted Evening ~ July 30. 6 - 9pm.|
|Author Reading/Book Signing ~ August 6|
|DCHA Hosts Book Launch, July 29|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Morris|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Hobart|
|Farmers' Market of the Week: Cooperstown|
|And the winners are....|
|Blue Skies and Warm Breezy Weather for Foundation Golf Tournament|
|Optional Skins Game at Golf Tournament|
|Golf Tournament Team Spots Still Available|
|Safe and Happy July 4th Holiday|
|Hanah Mountain Resort Is Hiring|
|Help Wanted: Front Desk|
|BEES, HONEY & YOU returns by popular request - Saturday, August 27th!|
|EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Development Director|
|A Walk Among the Weeds with Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower|
|Bees, Honey & You - A glimpse inside the recent workshop...|
|Get SpillianFest Advance Tix Online and Save!|
|SpillianFest 2016! July 23. Blues. The Bayou. The Birth of a Live Album.|
|Your Hero’s Journey® Redux: A Mythological Toolbox® PlayShop 2016 July 10-15|
|(8/12) Hot Club of Cowtown|
|(8/11) East Meets West Theater Workshop with Lanny Harrison|
|(7/29 &30) Shakespeare in the Valley 2016 Picnic & Performance|
|Gallery Exhibit: Paintings by Lisa Jacobson (thru 8/27)|
|MTC Is Hiring: Job Fair 7/19 and 7/21|
|Crazy Daisies of the Catskills!|
|Catskills Clovers! Legumes of the Catskills II|
|Colorful, Cosmic Kaleidoscope Celebration at the Emerson! Come One! Come All!|
|Let's Celebrate Summer!|